What is the A3 process?
The A3 process is a visual problem solving tool that Toyota developed to foster learning and collaboration among employees. The term “A3” is derived from the particular size of paper used to outline ideas, plans, and goals throughout the A3 process (A3 paper is also known as 11” x 17”).
The different steps of conducting an A3 are:
- Identify the problem
- Capture the current state of the situation
- Conduct a root cause analysis (Use 5Why and Ishikawa to reach the root cause)
- Devise countermeasures to address root causes
- Define your target state
- Develop a plan for implementation
- Develop a follow-up plan with predicted outcomes
- Result Impact Monitoring
Why is an A3 used?
Who uses an A3 process?
How to set up an A3 board in iObeya?
- Enter your room, then click Configure the room at the bottom right of the screen.
- Add a blank board to your room.
- Select the A3 background from the background catalog.
- Customize your tool dock with 1 set of notes renamed A3 Notes and 1 set of standard cards renamed A3 cards.
- Your board is now ready to be used.